Dive into the world of special needs and gain powerful, diverse service and leadership experience.
Internships at Play-Place offer college students seeking a degree in mental health, special education, psychology, non-profit management or a related field the opportunity to integrate classroom theory into the world of work. Interns acquire first-hand experience working with special needs individuals of all ages and cognitive levels in a safe, fun, environment while earning college credit. In addition to being a great learning experience, an internship at Play-Place enables students to explore future career opportunities. Play-Place offers flexible intern positions, including evening, part-time and weekend hours to accommodate class and work schedules. Most interns average 20 hours of direct program involvement with participants per week.
- Length of Service: 8-12 weeks
- Compensation: This an unpaid internship
- Minimum time commitment 12 hours/week
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested in a feel-good experience with opportunities for professional growth and give-back? Play-Place is offering immediate and summer internships to join our high performance team in Sterling Heights. This is an ideal opportunity for Special Education, Social Work, Psychology, Sociology, Mental Health, ABA, and Non-Profit Management students. Invaluable hands-on experience with all ages and all cognitive levels through fun and educational group activities, field trip and summer camp facilitation, program development and more. Candidates must be detail-oriented, out-of-the-box thinkers with exceptional organizational and strong interpersonal skills. Must be results-driven, possess initiative; a self-starter, and efficient with desire to grow professionally. Knowledge of Microsoft Suite. Reliable transportation a MUST.
Please forward cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 586-254-6533 for immediate consideration.
Program Development Interns (4:00 pm – 7:00 pm)
Available any time during the academic school year. Immediate and Ongoing.
- Program curriculum support and development for students of various ages and cognitive abilities, including themes and levels;
-Assist with the coordination and improvement of activities that aid in social, educational and life skills growth of special needs individuals; and
-Promote Play-Place through strategic outreach goals involving an increase in the number of walk-ins and memberships.
- Assist in developing program messaging for marketing and publicity.
- Must have weekday availability.
Field Trip Interns (9:30 am – 1:30 pm)
Available any time during the academic school year.
- Field Trip support and facilitation to various special education students of various ages and cognitive abilities, including 30 minute (small and large) group activities;
- Provide practical care and education to special needs individuals;
- Assist with the development and improvement of activities that aid in social, educational and life skills growth of special needs individuals; and
- Must have weekday availability.
Intern to Executive Director (10:00 am – 2:00 pm / Flexible)
Available any time during the academic school year. Morning, evening and weekend shifts. Immediate and Ongoing.
- Hands on experience assisting across multiple program areas, including coordination, development, communications and administration;
- Assist with partnership development as a community resource to meet prospective client/family needs;
- Support Executive Director with other duties as assigned, including helping with the front desk and project assembly; and
- Must have weekday, evening or weekend availability.
*Play-Place is an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.